PGE under Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs is the authority responsible for protecting the interest of Indian workers going abroad. PGE is also the registering authority to issue Registration Certificate to the Recruiting Agents for overseas manpower exporting business. Powers of Protector General of Emigrants are:
- Power to grant the Registration Certificate (RC) under Section 11 and 12 of the Emigration Act, 1983 and renew the same under Section 13 of the Act.
- Power to suspend, cancel and revoke the RC under Section 14 of the Act.
- Power to issue permit to the foreign employer (FE) and Project Exporter (PE) under Chapter IV of the Act.
- Power to sanction prosecution for offences and penalties under Section 24 and 25 of the Act.
- Power to search, seize and detain persons/conveyance, etc. conferred to an officer of customs under the Customs Act, 1962.
- Power to prescribe any return, record or register for the RAs and inspect the same as well at their office under Section 36 of the Act.
- Power of civil court under Section 37 of the Act.
- Power to perform all or any of the functions assigned to any POE under Section 3(4) of the Act.